Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bible Reading for January 13,2009

Proverbs 13, Psalms 61-65

Psalm 62: 7-10 - "On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah"

Trust God's sovereignty!

Psalm 63:1 - "O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water."

Absolutely beautiful imagery. Do we really have that desire?

Proverbs 13:4 - "The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied."

Once again, the continuing theme of laziness, in this case, explicitly spiritual.

Proverbs 13:12 - "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life."

Matthew Henry has an interesting commentary regarding this, to wit, "Nothing is more grievous than the disappointment of a raised expectation...and the more high the expectation was raised the more cutting is the frustration of it. It is therefore our wisdom not to promise ourselves any great matters from the creature, not to feed ourselves with any vain hopes from this world, lest we lay up matter for our own vexation; and what we do hope for let us prepare to be disappointed in, that, if it should prove so, it may prove the easier."

Proverbs 13:20 - "Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm."

Our associations shape our character.

Please join me. Post your comments on your reading for the day. As Tim Challies says, "Do not feel that you can only say anything if you are going to say something that will wow us all." Just share what you think or even just the chapter(s) you read.

No comments: