Thursday, September 17, 2009

Book Review - Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the Search for the American Dream

Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the Search for the American Dream
Adam W. Shepard
Harper (October 14, 2008)

In short: Great concept, good execution and a fascinating tale of poverty among the homeless, while working hard for something better.

“And that was the name of the game. Delaying gratification. In my mind, I had to be prepared to put my wants aside indefinitely as I fought to attain basic needs. I didn’t yet have the means to provide my own food, shelter, clothing, or an automobile. Nothing. So the more money I spent on booze or cigarettes or snacks or the latest pair of shoes that nobody else on the block had yet, the farther I would be from accomplishing my initial goals.”

Adam Shepard is annoyed by the whining and complaining. A recent graduate of a private college he has an idea that he hopes will change some attitudes. With $25 in his pocket, the clothes on his back and a city chosen at random, his goal is to have $2,500 in the bank, a working automobile, and a full-time job (without using his college resume) within the year.

His education on the streets begins quickly in Charleston, South Carolina, at Crisis Ministries, a homeless shelter in a rough part of town. Every step is fraught with temptation and low-level corruption.

“The shelter was supposed to be repulsive. That’s the only way it could be. It couldn’t be comfortable or clean…There was a reason Ann and the other employees were stern in their approach to us. There was a reason we didn’t have cable TV, and there was a reason that many of our rights and freedoms were checked at the door: they didn’t want us there. For our own good, they wanted us out.”

There are some great characters in this story and some great stories in the characters. Adam tells of his first real job interview where he offered to work for free, “I don’t drink. I don’t smoke. I’m no fun, actually. None of your guys, as great as they may be, have the work ethic that I do.” He tells of the sympathetic and “average” bus driver who was, “getting the same pay check regardless of what attitude you bring to work”, but made a difference in Adam’s day. Adam also reveals his character when he breaks his toe on the job:

“I could complain about my situation and feel sorry for myself or I could get back on the horse. If nothing else, I was discovering that life just simply isn’t fair, but the difference emerges among the people that accept that ideal, embrace it even, and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.”

There are lessons here for all. Most interesting for followers of Christ is his description of a Baptist church outdoor mass baptism he attended.

“One guy, Joseph, who had been living on the streets since his time had run out at the shelter, was given a bag full of clothes, food vouchers, and the invitation to come live in a vacant room at one of the churchgoer’s houses…You can call it God’s will or whatever you want, but I saw it as the most noble act of selflessness I had ever witnessed…But did the men I met take advantage of the services that were offered to them by the church?...most of the guys were back to their normal selves before we even left the parking lot of the church…They needed repetition to get off the streets. While some were self-motivated and had merely stumbled through a tough time in their lives, most of them needed someone constantly in their ear…”

In the end Adam discovers that the homeless problem, in some ways, is much more complex than we think. He witnessed many of his newfound friends who didn’t seem to even want the help. They seemed to be content with their station in life or the release their drugs and alcohol provided. It was just too difficult for them to work through the rigorous rehab program or discipline themselves to work. As Adam notes, are we not the same on a smaller scale? How often do we find ourselves content with status quo and don’t do the hard work of “owning” our lives?

With a great concept followed up with action, this is a fascinating tale of poverty among the homeless and of working hard to make more of a life.

As an aside, Adam makes good use of his local library to aid his job search. With access to the internet, computers, books and research assistance the local public library is a forgotten treasure. I am quite sure that Caesar, even with his ancient library of Alexandria would be awestruck at the wealth of books, information and knowledge available to the average citizen today. I have no doubt he would also be appalled at the apathy and lack of use of such a treasure.

Rating: Paperback

2 comments:

Shep said...

Hey Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to read my book and post a review. :)

Cheers!

Mike Gibbons said...

Adam,

Thanks for writing the book and reading my post. You told a great story! I hope I captured some of the theme of the book in my review. Looking forward to your next one and hope your life is going well.

Thanks!